[Bf-committers] Meeting report sunday november 16

Alexander Ewering bf-committers@blender.org
Sat, 22 Nov 2003 00:45:48 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003, Ton Roosendaal wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> 3. Game engine
> One of the active coders in Ketsji (Saluk) was at the meeting. We
> briefly went over last week's issues with game engine again. Agreed on
> was:
> - Kester & Saluk keep working on tuhopuu Ketsji
> - We wait for my feasibility study for how/when to bring back 2.04
> engine (Enji). Then we can do a separate meeting with engine coders /
> users on this topic.

I would propose dropping Solid completely. The developer (Gino) seems to be
unreliable and not interested in his library being used in the
most famous and complex OpenSource OpenGL application out there.
I deduce this from various mails from Ton, mentioning that he doesn't
respond to emails.

Furthermore, the schedule for the release of Solid is shifted further and
further into the future, and nobody knows when or if it will ever happen.

So, I propose using a completely different library that can replace
Solid as well as possible. Compatibility is an issue, but there's always
2.25, and the Game engine is now disfunctional for about a year, which
is quite disappointing for all game developers.

And as has been mentioned, Enji is not a serious replacement.