[Bf-committers] glFinish() problem

Wed, 19 Nov 2003 12:54:55 +0100

Hi,

The glFinish() is for many gfx cards (also ATI and also on OSX) a
signal to refresh screen or swapbuffers. Otherwise frontbuffer drawing
is not visible.
It's not a hack anymore, but more of a compliancy issue. I've tried to
minimize the amount of glfinish() calls to the max, because I also
noticed a lot of slowdown here on OSX. It might be possible some calls
still abuse it though... best is when you report the worst cases here,
then I check on it.

The window position is a problem yes... but that also resides still in
ghost itself. Some windowmanagers in Linux do unexpected things here.
It's better not to touch this code until we have people who *really*
know what they're doing; understand ghost and what it does for X11 and
Windows and OSX...

-Ton-