[Bf-committers] Meeting notes sunday nov 9

Tue, 11 Nov 2003 22:58:06 +0100

irc.freenode.net, #blendercoders, 16-18 CET (GMT 15, Sao Paulo 13, EDT
10,  PDT 7,  Sydney 02)

Agenda:

1. Axis constraints (transform)
- theeth proposed to add new constraint; to the 'view' axis (window
axis). Ton proposed to wait with adding new stuff to transform() until
the current system matured a bit. We should prevent feature bloat here.
Also for 2.31 it would be not needed.
- theeth will remove axis-constraint drawing (and activating the new
options) for transform with camera in camera viewmode.
- missing x-flip and y-flip (old: S,X,Enter) is now S,X,-,1, Enter...
or use Nkey menu.

2. Bugs
Still quite some bugs remaining.. but the list was nicely reduced over
the past days. During the meeting several reports were discussed.
If people find troubles marking bugs closed, drop me a note, then I fix
the permissions for you.
Aim for 2.31 to have most of it closed!

2a Sidenote
I was contacted by this lab:
http://people.mech.kuleuven.ac.be/~bruyninc/
For help on armatures, and improving IK and dynamics for it. They seem
to use Blender already, and understand how it works. I told them we
need help in reorganizing the basic system as well, which they
understood and might be helping with.
Follow-ups have to be done still... probably they will join this list
for further discussion. If needed we setup another mailing list for
them (and interested coders here). Hos remains module owner for it, and
will keep in touch with them.

3. Other projects pending for next release
- broken offers help in tidying up details
- cursor improvements scheduled for 2.32 (but knifecursor will get
fixed center)
- ton will finish pulldown menus in other headers (notify me if you
like to help)
- ton will check on toolbox safety (mouse leave, mouse enter new
sublevel)

4. Another Windows guru
Looking at the amounts of reports we get in - also with over 75% of
Blender users at Windows - we need more help maintaining platform
related Windows issues.
A shameless plug didn't give quick results... so I'll come back to it
later once.

5. release 2.31 schedule
As agreed on, cvs committing is only allowed for work on the 2.31
'manual' release. Ton works with Stefano on getting most issues solved
to make Blender working as the manual says it should. Bug/feature fixes
are always welcome of course.

Larstiq pointed out we could do our testing better. Two solutions for
it:
- release test versions more often (each coder can always serve a group
of testers personally)
- get the 'regression suite' documented and online, for everyone to
verify fitness of Blender's most used features. (ton will complete it,
send me samples!)

Release will be in 2 weeks... end of this week (meeting) we can verify
fitness for it again.

6. Game engine
Uncertain if the Solid book is out or not... it seems like it is just
presales campaign now. One publisher site mentions release 'early
2004'. Gino (Solid author) is still silent on actual release date.

A discussion went on around 2.04 engine ('enji') versus the later one
('ketsji'). This is been summarized here before. There's quite some
consensus on moving Ketsji out, and bring back the Enji version as is
in Tohopuu now.

Ton proposed to look into it:
- to check if it can be combined with a global restructure of the code
in more logical directories, which reflect dependency and functionality
more (Michel likes to help here)
- to cleanup code; removing old playstation hacks, make it fully opengl
compatible and add full support for all blender primitives (mballs,
lattices, etc)
- this all might be related to reconstructing 'display lists' too...

Quite a huge task.. but would be a nice xmas release! After 2.31 is out
I come back to it. In the meantime, I wont mind people researching
displaylist architectures...

Oh yah, next meeting! I am in Kopenhagen next weekend
(http://game.itu.dk/open_source_symposium.html), but back sunday end of
afternoon... if people agree, we can do meeting in evening; 21-23 CET
(GMT 20, Sao Paulo 18, EDT 15,  PDT 12,  Sydney 07)

Cya,

-Ton-

http://www.blender.org