[Bf-committers] BL and GPL

Tue, 11 Nov 2003 20:00:16 +0100

Hi,

> I think the dafault assumption is that contributers agree to the BL.
> If you
> don't, speak up now....

Yah, good to refresh this topic regularly. At the 2002 conference we
spent time on it, and about 7-8 months ago I've reminded it as well at
this list.

Might be good to give all the info again, added with some more insight
in the history of all this.

- First, regarding the Solid topic: "dual licensed" means that both
licenses are effective, but both don't have to apply together. Blender
can legally link with single licensed GPL projects, or with another
dual licensed GPL project. For such code then the "BL" or "QPL" part is
not valid. Also when we mix our code with pure GPL code, we need to
remove the "BL" notice from the source.

- The Blender GPL component (in all our sources) makes our code
effectively 'Free Software', and this dual license construction has the
approval of the FSF. In the end all our code remains GPL, and only
parts of it will be BL.

- The Blender BL component doesn't mean for developers they transfer
copyright or anything exclusive, but it allows the Foundation to
license code to third parties outside of GPL. At least it applies to
all former NaN code, which is still copyright-owned by NaN. A full
license description of a BL hasn't been written yet. The official
notice can be read here: http://www.blender.org/BL/

- The Blender 'BL' component was a construction which proved to be
useful to have the investors in NaN agreeing on going for open source.
They were afraid for some other company just picking up the sources and
start making money with it... :-)
My original preference - just making it all BSD licensed - would never
have had their approval for that reason. By choosing the most 'radical'
of the open source licenses (GPL is something most companies reject)
and combining it with a commercial license (BL) there would always be
an opportunity for future commercial exploitation of the code.

- During negotiations on this topic, I managed to get the BL
"ownership" (the right to exploit) within the Blender Foundation. It
includes the right to use the Blender brand and all web and art content
as created in the NaN period. Over revenues of this the BF has to pay a
reasonable fee to NaN Holding.
I am bound to a strict NDA on this contract, so cannot reveil further
details on this... it's less than 50%, that's what I can say).

- For as long we stay in GPL land, there's no issue at all. But to
decide whether or not the BL will be activated, three important issues
have to be solved:
1. verify that all contributors to the BL licensed code agree on this.
2. make sure the Blender non-BL compenents (Python, ODE, Solid, Ftgl)
don't conflict with it for the client
3. provide evidence to everyone (at blender.org) that such business
will benefit Blender, it's development community and the BF.

The first point is a matter of debate... whether this goes automatic
(like for GPL) or whether it should be a written permission. According
to the FSF it's the latter. And this is something I might ask for once
a BL is activated.

The second point depends... still most of our external components are
either LGPL or have another license that allows linking with closed
source. For Solid however, a BL client will have to negotiate a deal
with the Solid owner as well. Which is quite fair I think.

The third point is what bothers me most... evidence is just not there!
All contacts I had in the past year on commercial licensing just
couldn't provide sufficient revenues to justify such a move. I even
found out that in most cases potential clients could do it within GPL
as well.

- So! The "BL" is still in deep sleep. I prefer to keep this an option,
for some moment in the future when such business might become
interesting. But when time passes by, it might become less and less
attractive, especially because of the involvement of NaN with it. But
that could be just a metter of renegotiating, of course... :)

To avoid lengthy discussions on this topic, yes I realize that some
developers won't like to "work for" some NaN Holding and Blender
Foundation to make bucks. That's why I am hesitant in activating it,
and wait for true evidence how it will help Blender. On the other hand,
I hope such developers realize they make use of code that's mostly
written within a commercial environment. Still...

-Ton-

http://www.blender.org