Next Generation Modeling (was RE: [Bf-committers] Edge Loop Selection in Meshes)

Charles Wardlaw bf-committers@blender.org
Sat, 31 May 2003 09:48:04 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Andy,

I don't know what a 'strawman' is, but the addition of edge loop
selection and better low-poly modeling tools is *definitely* something
that many users have been harping for in Blender.  (Check the
blender.org forums or the ones on elysiun.)

I think the important thing is just to implement a small set of
features initially, post the patch, get feedback, and then move on from
there.  The coding side of things is pretty ad-hoc, and the people that
get listened to the most are the ones who submit patches with new
functionality.

So, were I you, I'd think about the kinds of things *you'd* like to be
able to do with the wing-edge data and edge loop selection (IE,
different types of extrusions) and just go for it.  Chances are
anything you come up with will be useful to many other users (even if
they're quiet about it).  The problem right now is that many blender
users have not used Wings 3D, so they'd find it hard to envision what
you're trying to attempt in the first place.

Also: don't forget to check the way tools currently work; by this I
mean that before most edits blender pops up a little box asking the
user if they really want to do it, due to the lack of undo
functionality.  You also might need a seperate edit mode for poly
meshes with your new edge tools.

I'm looking forward to whatever you come up with.

- Charles