[Bf-committers] game engine

Artem Baguinski bf-committers@blender.org
Wed, 28 May 2003 15:00:47 +0200

Hi Ton

I forgot to mention yesterday that i'm not subscribed to the ML, could
answers please be CCed to me?

> We still expect to have the game engine back soon, because an essential
> missing library (collision detection) will be open sourced in july.
> Still need confirmation on the date though.
> Anyway, that's the reason why it was disabled in the past 2 releases.

july sounds scary :) the official development on the project i've
described starts in the middle of august and until then i'm preparing
our media/control flow engine (the part that plays videos and receives
control signals from other subsystems) to be "pluggable" into blender.

the point though is that my particular case doesn't need collision
detection - all i need is camera flying through static 3D environments
following predefined paths +/- constrained deviations and switching the
paths if it ends up in certain areas. plus of course i need to be able
to control this all from the media-flow-engine, i guess i could use
python to glue it to blender.

now the question is: does it make any sence for me to dive into game
engine source and attempt to make it work without collision detection
(and probably without some other modules, e.g. i'm not interested in
sound and even physics (yet)) and use my project as a test case? That
will, i hope, be usefull for blender community: when the collision
detection library arrives you will only have to work on integrating it,
while the rest of the engine will be (hopefully) in somewhat useable
state.

> To evaluate if blender will suit your needs, you can still use the 2.25
> version. If that's good for your project, it's worth waiting for the
> entire engine to become functional again.

i'm evaluating blender 2.25 at the moment, but with all the dead lines
and stuff just wanna reassure myself.

cheers,
artm