[Bf-committers] Re:Re: Patch for Spherical UV mapping

Michael Velikanje bf-committers@blender.org
Wed, 28 May 2003 19:06:49 -0800

Message: 10
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 11:12:30 +0200
Subject: Re: [Bf-committers] Patch for Spherical UV mapping
From: Ton Roosendaal <ton@blender.org>
To: bf-committers@blender.org

Hi,

The 'sphere mapping' routine uses the current view to detect how to
map, just as an extra 'control' for the user to define how mapping
works. Not an issue, but a feature! :)
<<

I like features ;) They're so much better than issues.

The biggest problem with this routine, was that it doesn't take care of
creating a correct cycle. In the back you could notice an ugly seam,
where the UV coords wrap around 360 degrees.
<<

Yes you can end up with a very nasty seam, it always seems to end up on
the front rather than the back though. So it does require some prep. of
the texture, seamless textures that have been made for spheres do work
the best and don't have seams.

  I saw that someone (in the
NaN days) wrote extra code to correct it. Did you test that?
<<

No. Where may I find it, in the code that is?

I don't know why the menu option was removed... I'm fine with putting
it back, but then I expect you to give it a good test and report on
correct behaviour! :)
<<

http://www.michaelv.f2s.com/misc/spheremap.jpg

It behaved it's self. :D