[Bf-committers] osx install example 3

Charles Wardlaw bf-committers@blender.org
Wed, 28 May 2003 11:28:41 -0700 (PDT)

Bischofftep said:

> On the downside, forcing the user to view a license agreement isn't
> possible... but that isn't done on any other platform either, is it?

It is possible, actually, though you have to convert the .dmg into a
.smi (which, I believe, appends some executable code to the image to
make it self-mounting, but I could be wrong).  Not that I know *how*,
but I've seen it done.

Ton said:

> I know. With the way Blender works now that is not possible... we
need
> a $HOME/.blender/ directory for help files. The OSX docs on
installing
> say:
>
> - it is not (ever) allowed to write settings in a .app bundle. (ok,
> logical!)
> - instead, the $HOME/Library/xxx/ structure has to be used
> - however: it is NOT allowed to write yourself here, but you have to

> use cocoa libs for it.
>
> When we had the debate on the .blender install, there were a lot of
> different conventions we could choose to support for platforms. For
> simplicity (now) we choose to keep it all uniform for all Blender
> versions. That will make development & testing & support a lot
easier.
> This is one of the disadvantages of cross-platform development...

But doesn't the blender executable keep precompiled, default versions
of all requisite files?  I mean, if .b.blend doesn't exist in the
~/.blender dir, it gets generated with a file from inside the blender
executable.  Same goes for the bfont.ttf, right?  Other data could (and
probably should) go in the Contents/Resources directory of the blender
app bundle, and config could still be saved to the ~/.blender
directory, which would get created upon program execution if it didn't
exist.

Thoughts?
- Charles