[Bf-committers] osx install example 3

Wed, 28 May 2003 19:57:53 +0200

Hi,

> As for the current method...  I sincerely *detest* how .dmg images
> unpack themselves and then move themselves to the trash.

I agree with you here... I just don't like the whole .dmg concept
either. But the .pkg file itself (a directory) cannot be put at the web
for download!
The auto-remove will be left out!

> Anyway, to keep things
> simple, it'd be best IMHO to just have the user drag the blender
> program to their applications directory, and skip the package tool
> altogether.

I know. With the way Blender works now that is not possible... we need
a $HOME/.blender/ directory for help files. The OSX docs on installing
say:

- it is not (ever) allowed to write settings in a .app bundle. (ok,
logical!)
- instead, the $HOME/Library/xxx/ structure has to be used
- however: it is NOT allowed to write yourself here, but you have to
use cocoa libs for it.

When we had the debate on the .blender install, there were a lot of
different conventions we could choose to support for platforms. For
simplicity (now) we choose to keep it all uniform for all Blender
versions. That will make development & testing & support a lot easier.
This is one of the disadvantages of cross-platform development...

Last but not least: I do this as a learning experience, not because I
like complex installations so much! Best would be when some experienced
osx coder joins the team, and sorts it all out for good. :)

-Ton-