[Bf-committers] osx install example 3

Douglas Bischoff bf-committers@blender.org
Wed, 28 May 2003 13:28:25 -0400

On Wednesday, May 28, 2003, at 01:13 PM, Charles Wardlaw wrote:

> As for the current method...  I sincerely *detest* how .dmg images
> unpack themselves and then move themselves to the trash.  I don't know
> if I'm in the minority on this one or not.  Anyway, to keep things
> simple, it'd be best IMHO to just have the user drag the blender
> program to their applications directory, and skip the package tool
> altogether.

Come to think of it, I tend to agree. There seem to be some oddities
with package installation methods, but the "mount a disk image & drag
to wherever" method, popular in many applications, does seem to work
quite well.

I don't object to the .dmg files self-disposing, but this other method
does give the user some freedom, and also avoids some of the errors I
was experiencing.

On the downside, forcing the user to view a license agreement isn't
possible... but that isn't done on any other platform either, is it?

Just my 2p,

-Bischofftep