[Bf-committers] osx install example 3

Charles Wardlaw bf-committers@blender.org
Wed, 28 May 2003 10:13:08 -0700 (PDT)

> If I didn't think it'd break a ton of aliases & symbolic links
> I'd just rename the thing. *sigh* Just be aware: lots of OS X
> users will have spaces in their hard drive names: it's
> something we got used to under OS 9 and earlier.

Actually, that shouldn't make a difference...  The installer should be
able to install directly to /Applications, instead of specifying it in
Mac file terms (IE, "DB GB 4:My Applications:Blender").  And even if it
did matter, the spaces can be escaped with a \, so I'm not sure why
this isn't working...

As for the current method...  I sincerely *detest* how .dmg images
unpack themselves and then move themselves to the trash.  I don't know
if I'm in the minority on this one or not.  Anyway, to keep things
simple, it'd be best IMHO to just have the user drag the blender
program to their applications directory, and skip the package tool
altogether.  Lots of applications, including MS Office, use this
method.  (Office also has an installer for more custom installations,
but I digress.)  Since all blender data on OSX is going in the app
bundle (isn't it?), this shouldn't be a problem and will allow people
to keep multiple versions of blender in their Applications dir side by
side if they wish, because they're the ones monitoring the install.  In
the .dmg file you could have the license, installation directions, etc.
as text files.

Not that I don't appreciate what you're doing, Ton!  I just like to
keep my dmg images afterwards for archiving purposes, so the "I'll just
remove myself" thing drives me up the wall. ^_^;;