[Bf-committers] osx install example

Douglas Bischoff bf-committers@blender.org
Wed, 28 May 2003 09:54:03 -0400

On Wednesday, May 28, 2003, at 08:01 AM, Ton Roosendaal wrote:

> Hi,

Hello, Ton!

> 1- you download the disk-image
> 2- click it, and it 'expands'
> 3- inside it is an OSX package
> 4- click it, and it will guide you through the installation process
> 5- close and unmount the disk image, and delete the .dmg file

Using Safari beta v74 and clicking on your blender.dmg file, my system
did indeed skip step 2 completely, giving me a .pkg package file in my
download directory. So far so good. Running the installer looks good
(suggest you replace the line "Thank you for getting Blender" with
"Thank you for trying Blender" or "downloading Blender" Also, the
sentence saying "including commercial distribution" should make it
clear that you may make WORKS for commercial distribution... not that
BLENDER itself is free for commercial distribution). The only oddity is
that the blender.app is non-capitalized, whereas the application itself
is Capitalized as I'd expect. Can you change the blender.app to
Blender.app?

> Give it a try! http://download.blender.org/demo/test/blender.dmg
> I think there are simpler ways to install, but this official method
> definitely adds to the 'professional image' of Blender at OSX. :-)
>
> If the OSX coders/users here like it, I will put files in CVS with
> how-to docs.

Looks good! And I finally get to try the international functionality!
Looks good, though the antialiasing on my laptop is a tad heavy-handed.
No real slowdown noticed on an 800MHz PowerBook Ti.

Still can't load any fonts, thought.

Nice work, Ton!

I'm currently using autoconf for all my builds: are we still moving
towards that as a final goal, or is that an entertaining side project
and the NaN makefiles are the "official way to go" for the foreseeable
future?

Many thanks,

-Bischofftep