[Bf-committers] osx install example

Wed, 28 May 2003 14:01:01 +0200

Hi,

As part of learning more of OSX, I've followed the official guidelines
for an installer. It's a bit bloated and takes some work to create.
This is how a user will experience it:

1- you download the disk-image
2- click it, and it 'expands'
3- inside it is an OSX package
4- click it, and it will guide you through the installation process
5- close and unmount the disk image, and delete the .dmg file

With OSX 10.2.3 the disk images are 'internet enabled', removing the
steps 2 and 5. Well, according the doc here:
http://developer.apple.com/ue/files/iedi.html
At my system (OSX server 10.2.6) it doesn't open the disk image
automatically... but further it skips step 5 by automatically
closing/unmounting and removing the .dmg file.

The package install works OK, there are 'post install' scripts you can
include, to copy important files around. Currently that is the .blender
stuff.

Give it a try! http://download.blender.org/demo/test/blender.dmg
I think there are simpler ways to install, but this official method
definitely adds to the 'professional image' of Blender at OSX. :-)

If the OSX coders/users here like it, I will put files in CVS with
how-to docs.

-Ton-