[Bf-committers] possible redesign step?

Jordi Rovira i Bonet bf-committers@blender.org
Wed, 28 May 2003 12:16:31 +0200

Hello,
   I think that maybe the user interface in blender could be moved to
ghost, or to a "separate" library on top of ghost. I've seen that most
controls are implemented ina monolythic file called "interface.c".

    Separating it and maybe converting to C++ would have the following
benefits:
    - easier to document
    - better extensibility,
    - portability: with a frozen interface for this library many things
are possible like implementing skins or using other GUI libraries with
wrappers. I've hear something about Aqua...
    - integration of other components: a python IDE has been proposed to
develop blender (the editor is nice, but needs many features difficult
to implement). That ide is written using wxWindows (which i personally
dislike). If the UI in Blender was in a separate C++ library, and with
some extensions, maybe that IDE could get ported to be native and
completely integrated in blender windows?

    Drawbacks:
    - a lot of work? but mechanical.
    - all places in the code where ui is modified might need to be touched.

    I think that this could be a good improvement, and not a big
redessign (that would move the changes to Blender 3). A way to do it
could be to add that C++ library wrapping the current c functions so, we
could get some of the benefits without many of the drawbacks, and maybe
progressively switch all the code...

    Only some thoughts.

(bandoler)