[Bf-committers] game engine

Artem Baguinski bf-committers@blender.org
Tue, 27 May 2003 17:51:45 +0200

hello, bf-committers.

if this is a wrong place to ask, please redirect me.

I working on a multimedia installation, a piece of new media art,
involving realtime 3D and video. The 3D part is not very complicated -
previous version i've coded in plain C. But disadvantage of that
approach is that it's difficult to edit the scenes and implement nice
navigation, among other things.

I'd like to use blender in a new version of the installation - as
modeller for environments and real time 3d graphics engine. But i wanna
be able to add my custom code to it to add realtime video and external
control capabilities (the installation is controlled by a laser-scanner
kind of thing which doesn't appear to computer as a mouse or keyboard :)

That's why I'm interested in using the open source blender version, but
apparently game engine support is temporarily broken in it.

Is this true? Or could I build it with some smart configure switches? i
tried like this:

./configure --prefix=/home/artm/local --enable-gameblender --with-ode=/usr

and it won't build (i was compiling 2.27 sources).

I wonder what's the current status of game engine code (if i got it
right you had to substitute some proprietary libraries the NaNs version
used?) and who's working on it. I'm able to contribute - if you people
need any help in this area - as long as my contributions are useful for
my project i'll be payed for spending my time on them :)

ah, yes, i also saw the "evil tree" with weird finnish name, may be game
engine is useable there?

cheers,
artm