[Bf-committers] Sequencer Audio proposal and testing version

instinctive new media bf-committers@blender.org
Fri, 23 May 2003 14:56:10 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 23 May 2003, Matt Ebb wrote:

> I see you can control the volume through an IPO - would it also be possible
> to control the pan with an IPO as well? It would help a lot to visualise it
> and make it more interactive.

Yes, in theory, this would be no big issue -- though the problem is that
Blender itself only supports ONE IPO per sequence strip - now I think adding
support for a second IPO just to have panning envelopes would be too much!
But I had the same idea. Maybe a switch "Use IPO as volume/panning envelope"
would do?

Anyway, you can "fake" a panning envelope by using two duplicated strips
at the same frame position, setting their panning to -1.0 and 1.0, and then
use two volume envelopes (you will get no phasing problems, as the audio
engine's positioning has single-sample precision)

> I also see in the screenshots that the waveform is drawn on the strips.
> Perhaps as a later addition, would it be possible to reuse this and draw a
> waveform in the background of the IPO/Action/NLA editor windows? That would
> be an *excellent* way to make it easy to sync up animation to audio. Just a
> suggestion for the future anyway.

Yes, that's also a very nice suggestion, and could be done with no big
problems. The question would be: WHAT should be drawn on the background?
Only a single, chosen strip? All strips like in the seq editor? Or the mix?