[Bf-committers] Edge Loop Selection in Meshes

Andy Davis bf-committers@blender.org
Fri, 23 May 2003 01:55:48 -0500

To be honest, I'm not quite sure that I understand the suggestion.  Can
someone explain what a winged edge is, and what features it enables (I'm
ignorant, not petulant).

I'm working on a somewhat formal description of my algorithm, when I'm happy
with it I'll post it.

-Andy

-----Original Message-----
From: bf-committers-admin@blender.org
[mailto:bf-committers-admin@blender.org]On Behalf Of Willian Padovani
Germano
Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2003 8:04 PM
To: Blender Committers List
Subject: Re: [Bf-committers] Edge Loop Selection in Meshes

On Thu, 2003-05-22 at 11:46, Chris Want wrote:
> My feeling that the best approach for this
> is to create a 2nd editmode (ctrl-Tab, prehaps)
> that uses winged edge datatypes and allows for
> the selection of edges. Then there all sorts of
> edge based operations that become possible.
> There is also the wings source code to look
> at as a reference (if you don't mind reading
> erlang).

That's a pretty good idea.  The kind of feature that, well done, would
shake the open source modeling community.  Don't know how easy that
would be, though.

>From what I've seen -- corrections welcomed, of course -- in Edit Mode
Blender converts the mesh data to the "E" type, where verts/faces have
flags to indicate whether they are selected, etc.  Having a new "WMesh"
mode for winged edge structures seems to fit nicely.

Only thing (just something users would have to get used to) is that a
winged edge representation doesn't like lines and isolated vertices, but
its possible to "convert" from normal Blender representation to that and
back, of course.

We should really consider Chris' suggestion...

--
Willian, wgermano@ig.com.br