[Bf-committers] Re: Regarding the undo function.... and Photoshop

Douglas Toltzman bf-committers@blender.org
Tue, 20 May 2003 13:19:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 20 May 2003, Ton Roosendaal wrote:

> Ah, well I only found 1 undo/redo step in photoshop... but never use
> the program a lot!

This is way off topic, but Photoshop added multiple undo's in version 6.
In any case, I don't think it's a fair comparison.

When I'm working in Blender on something that is very important to me, or
experimental in nature, I simply use Control-W to save the file right
before I perform a suspicious operation.  The "Reopen last" function
becomes my "Undo".

Correct me if I'm wrong, Ton, but I was under the understanding that the
autosave's were generated during the save operation.  I.e., as long as I
save often, my <n> levels of autosave will be very current.  Whereas, if I
never save, I don't get the "autosave" (blend1,blend2,blend3,...) files.

Of course, for those who may not know, there is a sort of undo while
mesh-editing that can save one from those silly little mistakes while
rearranging vertices.  Another tip I will throw out, for new Blender
users/testers; when scaling, moving, rotating, etc., use the Escape key
before left-mouse-click'ing to cancel the operation.  I use the escape key
a lot, when I'm working fast.

Sorry for the off-topic post.  I hope to be working on some user
documentation before long.  I'll have more time in a couple of weeks.

Ton, have you found a new Linux platform manager, yet???

-Douglas Toltzman

p.s. I had some time to test 2.27 on Linux last night.  I spend several
hours trying features and rendering animations.  I didn't have a single
crash or any major problems.  I may have found a anomaly in keyframing a
lattice, but I'll need to do more testing before I can call it a bug.

Thanks to everyone for the great work!