[Bf-committers] Re: Regarding the undo function....

Tue, 20 May 2003 11:16:03 +0200

Hi,

> .... by the Lackness of a few, simple, easy to implement (...
> unreliable statement of a novice-programer :) ...) but "ESSENTIAL"
> features.

Apart from text editors, I have not seen real good undo's yet. A lot of
programs just undo-redo the last action, which is fairly simple but
very unsatisfying. Only occasional accidents can be restored that way.
Even Photoshop only does 1 undo, and for image editors writing undo is
'easy to implement' yes.
Another method is building a 'construction history', allowing someone
to start over and redo steps.

> Despite all that, I hope ton and the other developers will be
> mercifull and implement this features very (very) soon (correct me if
> I am wrong).

As said before, it is not a lack of interest or willingless, it is
because the internal structure of Blender was not designed with 'undo'
in mind. I think someone could try a hackish way to at least have a
'undo/redo', but I doubt the results of this effort is worth the
hassle...

In discussions on a complete new Blender3 project, having 'undo' and
'construction history' are features nobody really disputes.

-Ton-