[Bf-committers] Re: Regarding the undo function....

momesana bf-committers@blender.org
Mon, 19 May 2003 19:58:47 +0200

An email I received after critisizing the lackness of an undo-function
in Blender.
Ingie wrote:

>I just wanted to check and see if you knew about the "hidden" menu at the
>top of the main window.  You pull it down, and can choose to save backups of
>your work.  You can choose how often and how many backups, as well as choose
>a location to save them.  This isn't as convenient as an undo, but it'll
>keep a catastrophe from happening.
>
>Good luck!  Love Ingie

Hi,
First of all, thanks for your reply and the hints therein. Yes I am
aware of that hidden-menu. The problem ist that the backupfunction is
not appropriate for doing undo's because it does make copies of your
work rather sporadically (regarding to the settings we have applied) and
does not suite the need for undoing minor changes. I have brought the
backup-periods to quite a short interval in order to compensate that
drawback but still it is not a substitute for a proper undo-function. I
have also encountered the "less serios" Lackness of a further function,
that also should be implemented as soon as possible. While working with
other application, you are always asked wheter you won't to save changes
that have been applied but not yet written to disk, when you try to exit
the program. Not so Blender. It just terminates indifferently, while
your precious work is for ever lost!
The reason why I critisize all of this is that blender is seemingly the
"ONE AND ONLY" Open Source 3d Project capable of competing with the
propietary ones and therefore can't afford  to ommit these essential
features. Blender comes with a myriad of sophisticated Features and it
is complete enough to really replace other software, so all this
should'nt be tainted by the Lackness of a few, simple, easy to implement
(... unreliable statement of a novice-programer :) ...) but "ESSENTIAL"
features.
Nevertheless we should take in consideration that it is only months ago
that blender went open source and it probably needs more time for more
programmers to enter the scene, thus increasing the speed of development
(as  it was the case with the mozilla project).
Despite all that, I hope ton and the other developers will be mercifull
and implement this features very (very) soon (correct me if I am wrong).

momesana,
momesana@yahoo.de