[Bf-committers] CVS commit: blender/release Makefile

instinctive new media bf-committers@blender.org
Thu, 15 May 2003 01:46:20 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 14 May 2003, John K. Walton wrote:

> 'cp -a' is IRIX too not just GNU, but not solaris 8.
> how about tar instead, and not GNU tar either.

But it seems to have a completely different purpose on IRIX:

" The -a option to cp will copy user mode XFS attributes, the option
is silently ignored if any of the files involved is not on an XFS
 filesystem."

cp -a on linux copies a directory tree recursively, while on IRIX,
it does something that is XFS specific... so on IRIX, cp -a will not
do the same as on linux, so we should avoid it...