[Bf-committers] OSX window size

Charles Wardlaw bf-committers@blender.org
Tue, 13 May 2003 12:49:59 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Ton,

> I never found a system tool to tweak gfx depth or OpenGL performance,
> any hints?

None that I know of.

> OSX runs pretty smooth here, transparancy, antialiased fonts...
> BTW: When running blender in 1180x924 it still goes nice fast. So I
> assume it's a lack of memory in the opengl card?

I'll keep an ear to the ground for info.  I have heard in the past of
people having memory issues on cards with 16 or less meg of ram under
Quartz Extreme -- the windowing system uses so much that OpenGL ends up
with nothing to offer programs -- though I can't test this because my
iBook only does 1024x768 as the highest res and has 32 meg of video
ram.

But if it runs smoothly at a lower res, then I think it's a safe bet
it's a memory swapping / bandwidth issue.  A solution might be to open
in a "full screen" window under OSX if the res is 1024x768 or 800x600,
but to stay at 1024x768 if the res is higher?

Also, has anyone done any experiments with a true full-screen mode,
having CoreGraphics capture the entire screen?  It puts one window at
the head of the QE compositing engine and forces the other windows out
of memory, and might solve your problem.

- Charles