[Bf-committers] final patch for DRI crash

Jacek Popławski bf-committers@blender.org
Mon, 12 May 2003 11:34:43 +0200

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 11:22:27AM +0200, Ton Roosendaal wrote:
> Thats fabulous! And logical too, hopefully this will solve quite some
> troubles we had with opengl for the free unices.

I was browsing OpenGL code in Blender tonight, and it was great fun, for
example:

                         * Really Blender should never _ever_ try
                         * to do such a thing,

or:

/* XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX very hacky, not allowed to release
 * again after 2.24

but best one is:

static int is_a_really_crappy_nvidia_card(void)

(it's best because I don't like nvidia because their closed source only
drivers)

> This brings me to a related topic: for windows users we have a pretty
> useful page on h/w OpenGL tweaking at our site. I would love to see an
> equivalent with tips for the Linux/FreeBSD versions of Blender.

I think some stuff from OpenGL parts of Blender could be rewritten. It's very
complex and messy. Maybe after release (2.27 or 2.28) we can rewritte at least
few functions, then let users on different platforms test it? IMHO clean&buggy
code is better than dirty&buggy, because in first case it's easier to fix bugs
:)

> Can the users of these platforms mail here tips & tricks? Mentioning:
>
> - 3d card type
> - OS type, version
> - drivers / opengl version
>
> And the procedures you followed to get it working correctly with
> Blender.

Online database with PHP interface could be great!
Maybe I can even put Voodoo3 into my computer again ;-)

--
Free Software - find interesting programs and change them
NetHack - meet interesting creatures, kill them and eat their bodies