[Bf-committers] Python interpreter oddities

Michel Selten bf-committers@blender.org
06 May 2003 22:28:46 +0200

On Tue, 2003-05-06 at 11:24, Beau Hargis wrote:
> I don't know if it's happening in the freezing process or at interp
> initialization time. There are 3 or 4 different directories and
> collections of files that all want to be the Blender Python interface and
> I don't know which one is the real one so I am at a loss to figure it out.

Currently, in Blender 2.26 and 2.27, the python api located in
intern/python and source/blender/bpython (using the -D
FUTURE_PYTHON_API) is used.

> Is this just a problem on my system for some reason? Does the freezing
> really have to take place given that Blender is now opensource and can be
> repackaged more freely? Is it unreasonable to expect python to be
> installed or to have the user install python 2.0+?

The freezing is unfortunately still needed for that implementation. But
as you probably have read already in countless other mails, work is
underway to replace the api with a completely new implementation in
source/blender/python. This new implementation does not need freeze.

With regards,
	Michel