[Bf-committers] SSL dependency

Carsten Wartmann bf-committers@blender.org
Tue, 6 May 2003 08:43:37 +0200

Charles Wardlaw writes:
 > > Which are? I think you can't compare Virtools a $xxxx app (without a
 > > modeller, add another $xxxx for maya or max) which can do virtually
 > > all or things like a "game" engine where you have to programm all
 > > beside the graphic output yourself.
 >
 > Off the top of my head, <a href="http://http://www.garagegames.com/"
 > target="_blank">torque engine</a>, Shockwave, and <a
 > href="http://crystal.sf.net/" target="_blank">Crystal Space</a> all
 > come to mind.  I'm sure if I spent some time googling I could find
 > more.  Mac Heads can use <a href="http://www.klinksoftware.com/"
 > target="_blank">dim3</a>, which has XML file support and would be
 > easily integrated with the blender toolset (simple export of data from
 > blender to the dim3 engine).

Last I looked all of them required some more quite complicated pathes
to get your results. Or many money to get the modellers etc.

Maybe I will do my yearly look for Blender alternatives now again....

 > Hell, at this point if you're only
 > interesting in getting your work seen, you can download ports of both
 > Quake I and Quake II on multiple platforms and use freely-available

I am not interested in game engines or levels. Sure I can use Autocad
together with a quake engine to make a quake game but not for a
product simulation or a simulation of a production process....

 > tools to make levels for those as well.  There are plenty of options,
 > and Blender is only one of them.
 >
 > Incidentally, you have to program in the Blender game engine too.  The
 > degree to which you do so is up to you, as it is with the above
 > packages (even crystal space comes with a "standard" engine that
 > requires little to do but link for starting).

I make a difference between programming and scripting (i.e. gluing
parts together). And what I like in Blender is that you have a
pleasent and fast VIEW of your work from the moment you start. Thats a
very convienient way to work for artists and even engineers (as I am
more a engineer). No "boring" cycle of compiling/running/debugging,
and don't tell me about gigaherz CPUs and fast compilers, it IS a
difference between pressing PKEY/look/ESC and compiling even a "hello
world".

Carsten.