[Bf-committers] SSL dependency

Charles Wardlaw bf-committers@blender.org
Mon, 5 May 2003 13:44:36 -0700 (PDT)

> Which are? I think you can't compare Virtools a $xxxx app (without a
> modeller, add another $xxxx for maya or max) which can do virtually
> all or things like a "game" engine where you have to programm all
> beside the graphic output yourself.

Off the top of my head, <a href="http://http://www.garagegames.com/"
target="_blank">torque engine</a>, Shockwave, and <a
href="http://crystal.sf.net/" target="_blank">Crystal Space</a> all
come to mind.  I'm sure if I spent some time googling I could find
more.  Mac Heads can use <a href="http://www.klinksoftware.com/"
target="_blank">dim3</a>, which has XML file support and would be
easily integrated with the blender toolset (simple export of data from
blender to the dim3 engine).  Hell, at this point if you're only
interesting in getting your work seen, you can download ports of both
Quake I and Quake II on multiple platforms and use freely-available
tools to make levels for those as well.  There are plenty of options,
and Blender is only one of them.

Incidentally, you have to program in the Blender game engine too.  The
degree to which you do so is up to you, as it is with the above
packages (even crystal space comes with a "standard" engine that
requires little to do but link for starting).

- Charles