More details on: Hard lock while using GUI-Scripts Was Re: [Bf-committers] Quicktime & autoconf

Meino Christian Cramer bf-committers@blender.org
Mon, 05 May 2003 19:45:06 +0200 (CEST)

From: Kent Mein <mein@cs.umn.edu>
Subject: Re: More details on: Hard lock while using GUI-Scripts Was Re: [Bf-committers] Quicktime & autoconf
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 12:13:19 -0500

Hi Kent,

> Hi Meino,
>
> Not to complain or anything.

  :)
  No fear! I am interested in solving the problem -- regardless where
  it is -- even it sits directly in front of my monitor and keyboard :)

> I think your assumptions are a little bit
> faulty though.

  <g>
  That's why they are assumptions .. not facts ... :)))
  </g>

> More than likely this is a video card problem.

  Proof ?

> (Thats not to say that it might not be something in blender
> that is tickling it...  But if it were a blender specific thing
> everyone running Linux would be having frequent lockups...)

  No...that would mean, that evberyone using Linux would have the
  same memory mapping.

  On a logical view that as faulty as mine assumptions.

  On a base of experience that may be true...or not...

> 3d graphics programs just tend to use the graphics cards special
> features  a lot more than standard apps so thats more than likely why
> you only see the problem in blender.  Even the gimp (a huge program)
> mostly just uses standard 2d operations and you probably will not
> notice anything.

  Yes...Gimp is a completly different thing and program...I know.

> Lots of times this sort of thing is something like a register doesn't
> get cleared and then is read as garbage later on or something...

  We cannot fix this if we only know that it is "something" :)

> Its unpredictable and in general there isn't a do this step by step
> to reproduce the problem.

  If I use trace points and step over it: it hangs not.
  Else it hangs.

  Totally reproduceable...

>Thats why as someone else stated its pretty
> hard to debug, and or tell when the problem is actually fixed...

  No reason to try it ... from my point of view...

  Keep Hacking!
  Meino