More details on: Hard lock while using GUI-Scripts Was Re: [Bf-committers] Quicktime & autoconf

Meino Christian Cramer bf-committers@blender.org
Mon, 05 May 2003 19:04:11 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Kester, hi Blender Sourcerers !

 ...a little more details on these mysterious locks:

 My previous "!HURRAY!" should be more written as: hurray.

 I started PovAnim again -- this time on my previous scene with
 no pdb.start_trace() inserted in the PovAnim script.

 The machine locks as known.

 Reboot.

 As soon as I am using the trace option and step over it via the pdb
 console interface there is NO lock. After the trace point the script
 run on its own and does this smoothly.

 What is happening here ?

 For me it looks like:

 As OpenGL is not affected by the trace or no-trace of a python
 script which instructs blender which instructs OpenGL in turn I think
 that the OpenGL driver is ok so far (as it comes to this subject): It
 is able to display buttons per se.

 Next would be blender itsself.

 If I am importing pdb and I am _not_ setting any trace point the
 script hangs. If I am importing pdb and I am using a trace point and
 step over it, the script does not hang.

 The clue to this riddle is the difference of that both.

 Would it be possible that an uninitialized pointer would run wild?
 And furthermore would it be possible that this wilderness is a shoot
 into the dark if trace points are set and a shoot directly into the
 target, if no trace points are set ???

 Whatever the target is...

 Unfortunately I cannot detect the exact "point of crash" -- since
 there is no crash when I step the script.

 An additional clue would be the fact that the script hangs even if I
 am using trace points on previous versions of cvs snapshots.

 The script is the same, the system is the same only the blender
 sources had changed...

 (slightly feeling like Maulder...)
 Kind regards,
 Meino