[Bf-committers] SSL dependency

Meino Christian Cramer bf-committers@blender.org
Mon, 05 May 2003 16:29:53 +0200 (CEST)

From: Carsten Wartmann <c.wartmann@gmx.net>
Subject: Re: [Bf-committers] SSL dependency
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 15:29:22 +0200

Hi,

 there may be a little "twist" in your view Carste.n.
 The question in my head is _no_ doubt, it is simply a /question/.

 "Is the focus a different one of a person using a mainly propietary
 system like W*n*o*s by Picosoft compared with that of a person
 mainly using a free, OpenSource based system like Linux ?"

 If yes, what clientel we want to "satisfy" ?
 And: Is it possible to "satisfy" both ?

 A reason for a different focus may be the availability of certain
 software.

 On Linux Blender is _the_ modelling software per se. Since it is the
 only one, people will mainly wish to get filled the gap which will be
 there, if blender would not be there: Mostly the points, Ton has
 listed below...I think.

 On W*n*o*s  there are modelling programs. It begans with Povray,
 which is on Linux a """simple""" commandline tool (with great
 capabilities as renderer, though). And Maya, and TrueSpace and....
 so Blender is exspected to fill another kind of gap here.

 Since Blender is an OpenSource program (!!!Yuppie!!!:) it is clear
 what kind of "filled gaps" *I* would appreciate... ;)

 Only my two cents...
 Kind regards,
 Meino