[Bf-committers] SSL dependency

Charles Wardlaw bf-committers@blender.org
Mon, 5 May 2003 07:22:39 -0700 (PDT)

And just a note: there *was* someone working on flash export on elysium
IIRC.  Shockwave (3D) support isn't something I've heard anything
about, but I doubt it's outside the realm of possibility.  It might be
best to stick with the Unix way of thinking: have a lot of little tools
that each do one job, but do it really, really well.  Blender is a
great modeler, and I say this after working with both Lightwave, Max,
and trueSpace for years.  Maybe just the 3D content generation is all
that should be focused on, leaving interactivity for an outside
program.

Interactive, realtime 3D is certainly where the industry is going, but
it won't be truly mainstream for another 5 or 10 years, I think.  The
big push will come after Doom3 hits the market.  Thing is though, there
are a tonne of computers out there that aren't going to be able to
support the full brunt of the interactive 3D revolution.  Blender, as
it is, runs well on low-end machines (like my PII-450 or my 500mHz
iBook),  in software if necessary.  The blender browser plugin was
cool, but didn't run so well on lower-end machines when I tested it,
and right now it seems we're short on experienced hands to work on it,
bring it up to snuff, as it were.

However, between additional export/import formats and python scripting,
anybody industrious enough will be able to write their own bridge
between systems (realtime and non-RT) without muddying the current
codebase.  I'm not saying that the realtime stuff should be dealt away
with altogether (I'm actually quite excited to hear that Solid is being
released for free), but there are already enough mature realtime
platforms out there to satisfy the needs of everyone.

Maybe this can be a v3.0 discussion, right next to having Undo support.
^_^;;

- Charles