Focus (was: Re: [Bf-committers] SSL dependency)

Douglas Bischoff bf-committers@blender.org
Mon, 5 May 2003 09:32:12 -0400

On Monday, May 5, 2003, at 08:54 AM, Ton Roosendaal wrote:

> Some yes, but more from a commercial exploitation focus. I think other
> features are far more interesting to attract artists and professional
> users:

As an artist and professional user, just thought I'd give some feedback
on these comments!

> - import/export 3d file formats

Agreed, and I'm quite happy to see it at the top spot (by design or
accident). This really is something of a hindrance to professional use,
IMO, as it limits Blender's ability to use "stock" models built in
other programs, and to export things made by Blender as a "final
product" that some other studio or group will then use as they need to.

> - integrated (mpg) movie in/out, audio support

Improving, and yes... a good thing. The movie support isn't so
critical, IMO, as anyone working in a serious environment can take a
JPEG AVI or RAW AVI or (as I am doing) even a TGA image sequence and
make it work for them at the exact quality level they need without
fiddling with a lot of compression options, etc.

Audio support would be a good thing, though, as it will shorten the
production cycle of "hit" points already set up in, say, the NLA can be
exactly matched with sound effects in the Sequence editor.

> - support for external renderers

Without a doubt. I understand Green is working on some of this, and
some excellent Python scripts exist RIGHT NOW that do some of this...
but creating an architecture that is a little more intuitive than
running a Python script would go a long way towards making Blender
"appear" more capable. Sadly, appearances are quite important when
you're trying to "sell" a product.

> - more advanced python api, to allow 'plugins'

Amen... but PLEASE continue the work in making all "officially
supported" (whatever that means) platforms do the same things. I am
very happy that some folks are giving attention to the problems in OS X
parity (thank you!!!) and would like to see it continue. I'm helping
where I can!

> - improved modeling/animation tools

Always a plus. What sort of things do people have in mind? What kind of
improvements would be necessary to support N-gon editing?

> - interface issues in general... (compatibility, "modernisation")

*shrug* yes, it's a bear to learn at first... but as so many have
pointed out, the interface is truly brilliant once you get accustomed
to it. (And this from a Mac user who is used to having keys all do the
same things in every app!)

Hope this helps,

-Bischofftep