[Bf-committers] Quicktime & autoconf

Meino Christian Cramer bf-committers@blender.org
Sat, 03 May 2003 17:30:00 +0200 (CEST)

From: Kester Maddock <Christopher.Maddock.1@uni.massey.ac.nz>
Subject: Re: [Bf-committers] Quicktime & autoconf
Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 01:40:52 +1200

Hi Kester,

 Thank you very much for helping me to catch the bug! :)

> Hi Meino,
>
> Try running blender from a console and adding
> import pdb
> to the top of the lanc_povanim226_11.py script (say line 35)
> and change
> print "That's began!! :) "; windows(1)
> del sys
> print "That's began!! :) "
> pdb.set_trace()
> windows(1)
> del sys

  Hihi, nice trick ! Really ! That way, my box crashes more slowly X-)...
  (only kidding...)

> Alt-P and use Alt-Tab to switch to the console.  You should have a (pdb)
> prompt which is a barebones python debugger.  Type help for help, and there
> are instructions at /usr/lib/pythonVERSION/pdb.doc

  Ok, I did it...

  The result (the beginnig of the lanc_povanim226_11.py, comments
  stripped)

   --> import sys
       import Blender
       import Blender.Draw
       from Blender.Draw import *
       import Blender.BGL
       from Blender.BGL import *

       import pdb

       L=sys.path
       ls=Blender.Get('filename')
       ls=Blender.sys.dirname(ls)

 The last command executed BEFORE the machine hangs is marked with a
 "-->" as pdb it did...

 If I entered a "step" into the debugger then, there was no
 "switching" of the arrow, no output and time was just enough to
 switch to another desktop of IceWM...then the machine freezes (which
 is no result of _Ice_WM ;)

 And: _Everything_ freezes.

 It /seems/ that "import Blender" is at least a part of the problem.

 Reboot....

 The next experiment I did was to start with a fresh scene and a fresh
 script window. I only entered "import Blender".....ALT-P....._NO_
 freeze. It was executed without harming my Linux box.

 Interesting that the way my box crashes is not a "sudden death" in
 sense of the "speed" for example segfaults happen normally. It
 "feels" more like a lock which is caused by something fastly
 "growing" -- as someone would eat up all CPU power in hundredth of a
 second.

 And the screen always remains ok. No "colored crash" or something
 like that.

 Sorry for that prosa, but I am neither a pci guru nor a python
 guru....

 Keep hacking and
 kind regards,
 Meino