[Bf-committers] Quicktime & autoconf

Meino Christian Cramer bf-committers@blender.org
Thu, 01 May 2003 17:55:00 +0200 (CEST)

From: Kester Maddock <Christopher.Maddock.1@uni.massey.ac.nz>
Subject: Re: [Bf-committers] Quicktime & autoconf
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 00:43:05 +1200

Hi Kester,

> Meino,
>
> Looks like you are in big trouble. :(

  ...may be the blender sourcerer are in trouble here...

> A linux machine can lock up in two ways: either it does something it
> shouldn't,

  ...aggreed ;)

> and the kernel "panics", or it sits in an endless loop waiting for
> something that never comes ("deadlocks.")

  it _seems_ this is the case ... just by the way the crash "smells"...

> You can tell them apart by the
> keyboard leds, they start flashing when the kernel panics (from kernel
> 2.4.20.)

  Ok, I will crash my machine again and take a look at the blinkenlights...

  (PS: It crashes again: No blinkenlights...

> It also prints nice debugging info to the console, which you can't
> see while in X.

  Nice concept ;)

> Deadlocks are even more difficult to track down and fix.
> Kernel debugging should only be attempted if you have a strong sense of
> adventure. :)

  ...I fear, I am missing some skills here...

> Other things to try:
> Ctrl-Alt-Backspace (Kill X Server)
> Ctrl-Alt-F1 (Switch to virtual terminal 1)
> Ctrl-Alt-Delete (Switch to runlevel 6 and wait for reboot)

  Will try this next crash...

  (PS: The crash locks everything...)

> Telnet from a networked machine

  No LAN here...

> A different script

  ...I dont know other povray exporter of that abilities and update
  frequency... you?

  I fear, it is the opening of buttons and other graphical thingies,
  which kills the system...

> Tuhopuu

  please...what? ;)
  Another branch ?

  And what problems are changed with what others then ?

  How to access this ?

> A new video card

  Oh, please not...

  Why does have no other program related to OpenGL/GLX and such have
  problems with my hardware -- except blender ???

  This is _not only_ a rhetorical question...

> With the mail server, my (university, have no control over) mail server is
> trying to verify your mail server (solfire.)   If that yours you should
> either tell it to forward all outgoing mail to your isp or identify itself.

  Aha...then I have to do another exim-config-session...

> (BTW --export-dynamic is already enabled in the NaN makefiles)

  And why the option enable-blender-static then ?

> Cheers,
>
> Kester

  Keep hacking!
  Meino