[Bf-committers] Re: [XFree86] [blender 2.26cvs + XFree430] Total machinge lock

Michel Dänzer bf-committers@blender.org
12 Mar 2003 17:26:29 +0100

On Mit, 2003-03-12 at 05:33, Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
> From: Michel Dänzer <michel@daenzer.net>
>
> > On Die, 2003-03-11 at 06:55, Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
> > > From: Michel Dänzer <michel@daenzer.net>
> > >
> > >  oh yeah! The patch fixed it! Great...I am happy...!
> >
> > Great!
>
>   ...before thinking ANY problem is solved:
>   The crash due to opne a DispWin-window still remains "working"...
>
>   I only meant: The script runs again!
>
>   I still have to set "export RADEON_NO_VTXFMT=1" to get renderings in
>   a DispWin-window instead of DispView (directly on the screen)...

I expected so, they're separate problems. The vtxfmt problem has been
fixed in DRI CVS, it's a matter of someone extracting the fix and
backporting it to 4.3. (please check the dri-devel archives and
cooperate with Charl P. Botha <c.p.botha@its.tudelft.nl> if you intend
to)

>   (I still dont understand what all these env-vars do. If a would have
>   a problem I woulld set them all in a complete permutation pattern,
>   which mean: I would be the monkey in front of the typewrite. And in
>   opposite to the known example there would be no other monkey to
>   produce a Shakespeare piece (= w orking setting)...so I would have
>   to play all permutations alone........

You don't have to try all permutations as some variables encompass
others (RADEON_NO_RAST encompasses RADEON_TCL_FORCE_DISABLE encompasses
RADEON_NO_VTXFMT encompasses RADEON_NO_CODEGEN) and others only serve
diagnostic purposes.

>   just joking and playing with words, Michael! THIS IS NO CRITISM AT ALL!
>
>   The only thing I would like is a more end-user understandable
>   explanation of the settings.

Fair enough, I'm not sure to what degree that's worth it though as
they're mainly for debugging and working around bugs.