[Bf-committers] Naming rules

Fri, 27 Jun 2003 17:41:56 +0200

Hi,

'Library' and 'Object' are about the first structs I've added in
Blender... :)
They're used with that name in Blender's file system (DNA), which
doesn't easily allow name changes for structures.

Later on, for such names we've agreed on adding a lower case 'b', to
indicate it's a Blender struct. So there's a bAction, bArmature, etc.
For now it works for the supported OS's... better not put energy in
changing that... there's no end in what you can change! And the code
won't run better too.

> for public name:
>         <component>_xxxx        ex: BLI_exit()

This has been accepted. A lot of old code was adapted to it, new code
should apply to it.

> for local or static name:
>         <prefix>_<component>_xxx
>
> where prefix may be:
>         p       pointer
>         k       constant
>         l       locale to a component
>         s       static
>         v       variable
>         f       function
>         e       enumeration
>         s       structure
>         u       union
>         no prefix       loop indice (i,j,k,...)

This convention is very personal, and you'll hardly notice it in
Blender code.

In the old NaN intranet docs is a code style guide. Maybe time to
undust that, and post it at a more visible location!

-Ton-

http://www.blender.org