[Bf-committers] Feature Request: Per-polygon properties

Gregor Mückl bf-committers@blender.org
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 02:25:31 +0200

Hi!

Jorrit: You hit a point here that I was struggling with for quite some time.
But I never thought about tackling it that way :-)

Ton: I didn't yet have a look at how properties are stored in blender.
However, blend2cs can read the (per-object) properties which blender already
supports. I think it would be sufficient to provide the same properties for
each face or vertex. The only drawback is that this will at least cost you a
pointer for each MVert/MFace, which can be quite a lot of data.

With the XML file format Philipp Guehring is working on (and yes, I'm actually
ending up pushing him) blender will become even more attractive as a level /
object editor for 3d engines. And a lot of these engines could use a lot of
additional information that is best entered into the modeller the stuff was
created with. So Jorrit is just by chance the first person that stumbled in
and requested a property / extension system.

A good design of such a feature will be important. This includes generality
(there should be no hacks needed to store arbitrary values in properties) and
accessability from python scripts (so that artists can be supported by
appropriate tools). Format conversion will be greatly simplified once an XML
based fileformat is actually understood natively by blender.

I hope I didn't confuse you.

Gregor