[Bf-committers] Python, freeze, and Python 2.3 beta

Willian Padovani Germano bf-committers@blender.org
12 Jun 2003 20:57:07 -0300

On Wed, 2003-06-11 at 14:50, Charles Wardlaw wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone had looked at the python 2.3 beta and it's
> ability to use zip files full of .py / .pyc / .pyo files as a source
> for the library.  Apparently, it makes it as easy as:
>
> sys.path.append("./blenderlib.zip")
>
> or something to make it search zip files for "import" files.  Also, the
> zip would be transferrable across platforms, and could reside in the
> app bundle on OSX.  (As well, a zip of the standard python libs could
> also be distributed with Blender on OSX, as the standard python is a
> little weird.)
>
> Thoughts?

This can be a good thing.  If we can include in Blender (or make
available as an additional package) standard modules like os, sys,
string, math, etc., users wouldn't need a full Python installation to
run more "demanding" scripts.  Much probably this would also eliminate
the need to set the PYTHONPATH system var.

It can also be a good way to distribute a set of basic scripts, for
example importers / exporters and added functionality, with Blender
itself.

That's surely something to investigate.

--
Willian, wgermano@ig.com.br