[Bf-committers] Feature Request: Per-polygon properties

Jorrit Tyberghein bf-committers@blender.org
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 13:13:55 +0200

We are trying to use Blender as the editor for Crystal Space levels. See:

    http://projects.blender.org/projects/blend2cs/

for the Blender project related to this. Also see:

    http://crystal.sf.net

for the Crystal Space 3D Engine itself (I'm the project manager BTW).

However, we have one problem which makes Blender slightly less than ideal
for us. In Crystal Space there are various properties that can be set
per polygon.
For example, alpha transparency, visibility culling enabled/disabled,
collision
detection enabled/disabled, portal (to other sector), ...

Since it seems impossible to attach generic user properties to polygons
in Blender
we are forced to misuses texture names for these features. And this is
very clumsy
indeed.

How hard would it be to allow setting of properties per individual
polygon or
alternatively allowing to mark groups or individual polygons in some way
so we
can recognize it in the export script?

Greetings and thanks,

Jorrit.Tyberghein@uz.kuleuven.ac.be, University Hospitals KU Leuven BELGIUM

- "What is it that a man may call the greatest things in life?"
- "Hot water, good dentishtry and shoft lavatory paper."
        -- Cohen the Barbarian in conversation with Discworld nomads
           (Terry Pratchett, The Light Fantastic)