[Bf-committers] GHOST and autoconf

Chris Want bf-committers@blender.org
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 22:28:15 -0600

>> c) The autotools don't seem to do such a great job on Irix or FreeBSD,
>> and in particular when a non-gcc compiler is desired.
>
> OK - fair enough.  I'm an "it works fine at my end" Linux user (with a
> highly customized box with stuff sitting in all sorts of wierd
> locations). :-)

Try compiling it with the intel compiler, or any other
non-gcc compiler, and see if you still get "works fine at my end"
(and rename your 'lib' dir to 'lib32' while you're at it). ;)

> However, IMHO if a project is going to have a custom build system then
> you need to clearly place documentation about it on the website and
> provide a complete step-by-step "getting started" process for
> developers, as well as list all package dependencies, etc.  If this
> information is already online then it needs better links, and if it
> needs to be created then... I volunteer! :-)

The documentation for the NaN build system is in a
bit of a sorry state.

I don't know of any real step-by-step instructions
for building blender from the Makefiles other than
the one I did specifically for gcc-windows in
doc/README.windows-gcc. There are some random
assorted compilation guides here too:

http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1173

a little bit about making a release here:

http://www.blender.org/modules/documentation/intranet/docs/develop/blender_release.html

a little bit about the code layout here:

http://www.blender.org/modules/documentation/intranet/conventions/development_environment.html

The general instruction is roughly: type 'make' and modify
an env variables from source/nan_definitions.mk when the
build fails (there is a file that one can create called
user-def.mk that can be used to hold local modifications
without fear of having them conflicting with CVS... or one
can source the modifications into thier environment).

The main instruction document for the autotools is
doc/building_blender.html ... I don't
know how up to date it is with respect to
versions, etc.

There are also random documentationettes
(for lack of a better word) in README.

> I think our goals are the same.  However, if the NaN makefiles are to
> stay then they need some introductory developer documentation.  Can I
> help writing this?  Is anyone else working on it?

You are certainly more than welcome to review, update or create whatever
documention you feel would help a new developer get started (using
whatever build system you prefer). If you need help compiling or need
clarification on any matter feel free to ask on this list. Provided
that it is accurate and of good quality it will get committed (or
perhaps an article on blender.org).

Regards,
Chris