[Bf-committers] build systems :) [was: GHOST and autoconf]

Hans Lambermont bf-committers@blender.org
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 23:13:05 +0200

Kent Mein wrote:

> Currently, if you do a bootstrap and run configure in the blender
> directory you overwrite the Makefiles

But the whole idea was to let configure generate the makefiles in a new
directory next to blender, right ?

> and it is confusing as you stated and people have to be extra careful.
> If the Nan Makefiles were all moved to Makefile.nan instead of
> Makefile then we wouldn't have this problem,

Nah, even if you turned this around 'let the configure system generate
Makefile.auto' it would not make sense as it still writes in the source
tree.

> Hans wrote:
>> ps.  Would it be beneficial if I'd change the NaN system such that
>> the $NANBLENDERHOME is made relative to each Makefile and thus be
>> unneccesary ? This way NANBLENDERHOME and MAKEFLAGS can be removed.
>> It confused a lot of ppl :-/
>
> Ahh I would say thats more complicated and would be less
> understandable to people looking at it to figure out what is going on.
> Not sure exactly what you had in mind though so I could be wrong ;)

As it is now make starts complaining when you don't set the
NANBLENDERHOME and MAKEFLAGS. When we simply define NANBLENDERHOME in
every Makefile (as a relative path), and change the 'include
nan_compile.mk' etc. to 'include ../nan_compile.mk' etc. then we're set.

Hans
--
http://lambermont.webhop.org/   () ascii ribbon campaign - against HTML mail,
                                /\ vCards and proprietary formats