[Bf-committers] Maximum Frame Number

bf-committers@blender.org bf-committers@blender.org
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 08:45:57 -0500

Greetings,

I've been lurking on this list for some time, keeping quiet as I am more of a
blender user at this point (I have programming skills, but with the exception of
python they are a little rusty due to sysadmin work these last few years, and
what little time I seem to have gets spent blending and writing prose).

However, as someone who is in the early stages of putting together what might,
if my ambitions are met, turn out to be a feature length animated film based
upon my novel (it may never exist ... it is a rather ambitious project, but it
is certainly worth a try), I would very much love to have the frame limit
extended to accomidate full length films.

Quoting Alexander Ewering <blender@instinctive.de>:

> On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Ton Roosendaal wrote:
>
> > BTW: 18000 frames means continuous anims of 12 minutes can be rendered
> > (pal). Quite acceptable. But of course not in *all* situations. :)
>
> Hi Ton!
>
> Of course, I would agree that 12 minutes of video PER SCENE is certainly
> enough.
>
> Though remember that Blender can now also be used as a decent a/v
> compositing tool (the sequencer), and it's a bit of a pity that
> it can't be used to _composite_ a single movie longer than 12 minutes,
> either.

I would suggest 4 hours as the outside limit that any film should require (there
are those rare 3 hour and however many minut films...it would be nice if the
sequencer could handle those cases as well as the more common 2 hour, 2.5 hour
lengths, and the 42 minute 'tv show' lengths).  This probably still wouldn't
appease everyone, but anyone putting together the Ring der Nebelung could cat
the 4 hour segments together, while the rest of us could work on our projects as
one cohesive unit ...

I guess this would fall into the feature request category, but since folks were
discussing the implimentation of the animation length limit I thought I'd throw
my two cents worth in (probably worth every penny).

In any event, whatever your ultimate choice based on the technical merits,
memory requirements and limitations, etc., I am grateful to all the hard work
and contributions that has made for one hell of an impressive and useful program!

Jean.