[Bf-committers] GHOST and autoconf

Kent Mein bf-committers@blender.org
Mon, 9 Jun 2003 14:47:55 -0500

> Do you imply that the auto* system will generate makefiles *in* the
> source tree ? I hope you're not, it'll confuse ppl, generated things
> will accidentally get comitted etc. Bad Idea (tm) IMO.

Currently, if you do a bootstrap and run configure in the blender directory
you overwrite the Makefiles and it is confusing as you stated and people
have to be extra careful.  If the Nan Makefiles were all moved to
Makefile.nan instead of Makefile then we wouldn't have this problem,
however to use the old makefile system you would need to type
make -f Makefile.nan instead of just make.

> ps.  Would it be beneficial if I'd change the NaN system such that the
> $NANBLENDERHOME is made relative to each Makefile and thus be
> unneccesary ? This way NANBLENDERHOME and MAKEFLAGS can be removed. It
> confused a lot of ppl :-/

Ahh I would say thats more complicated and would be less understandable to
people looking at it to figure out what is going on.  Not sure exactly what
you had in mind though so I could be wrong ;)

Kent
--
mein@cs.umn.edu
http://www.cs.umn.edu/~mein