[Bf-committers] Radiosity Engine

Sat, 7 Jun 2003 14:39:34 +0200

Hi,

It was written in '94 according the latest tech specs then (siggraph
proceedings) as a separate tool. In '98 cleaned up and added to
Blender. In these days realtime textures where not a feature to expect
at the desktop... vertex colors were the way to go.

Although I agree it is outdated, it's also one of the code parts I'm
really satisfied with. It is relatively clean code, and well
structured. The conversion from regular mesh to radiosity-ready meshes
is complex and handled pretty good. ("crappyfying" = adaptive
hierarchical subdivision)
Integration with Blender itself could be improved quite some... just a
lack of time, plus the original design of Meshes in Blender don't fit
this, something we suffer from in more ways.

-Ton-