[Bf-committers] Radiosity 'engine'

onk bf-committers@blender.org
Sat, 07 Jun 2003 16:13:06 +0200

hi there,

first posting in this forum. Hoera!

> Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 00:21:38 +0200 (CEST)
> From: instinctive new media <ae@instinctive.de>
>

> Hello!
>
> I've been working with Radiosity quite a lot recently, and one
> incredibly obvious question came to mind:
>
> Why does the radiosity engine not SIMPLY use 'Add' textures instead
> of crappifying the mesh and then using vertex colors?
>
> You could continue to use your normal meshes, no complex layer-switching,
> copying, replacing meshes, plus you could _ANIMATE_ (yes, that's right)
> the radiosity light by simply animating the texture.
>
> I don't get this! Why did it get coded this way? :)

Hehe. History. Which I don't know of :-)
Actually, you can do nice things with texture unwrapping and calculate
light situations almost realtime, depending on how realistic you want them.
I agree, instead of subdivisions and vertcols, texture generation would
make much more sense, save memory and time.
It would also be interesting to enhance the radiosity engine to use the
standard lighting (and not via 'emit' materials).
There's just one little thing, that it would internally need a 'float'
texture map to deal with arbitrary-intensity light 'quantums'.
Are you going to touch that code ? or anyone else ?

Cheers,

- Strubi