[Bf-committers] Meeting notes june 1

Thu, 5 Jun 2003 13:11:46 +0200

Hi,

June 1, 16-18h CEST, #blendercoders at irc.freenode.net

Participants: Sgefant, esrever, intrr, SirDude, trip_dragon, Michel,
LarstiQ, Hos, apheX_, Blacky_, xype, UnNamed, VelixM, dv3,

Agenda:
1. Current development projects
2. Python IDE
3. Functionality board
4. Reorganize ghost/screen/buttons code
5. OSX aqua
6. Bug tracker

-------1. Current development projects

- Python: almost all modules are finished, 5 new modules (armature,
bone, effect..). The next week(s) the Python coders will make a test
release, and make a start with removing MX and 'freeze'.
- Discussed was if we should keep both Python API's for test releases.
This not to frustrate users too much with potential bugs. Agreed was
not to do this, to save time and work.
- autoconf: still causes problems with Irix mipspro compiler. Sirdude
will make a start with removing the SSL libs and dependencies
- Language project: still needs to be finished; we need a basic
template and a method to automatically upgrade it. LarstiQ was too busy
the past weeks to work on it, but is still interested to help out.
We'll als discuss this with 'Ylai' later. Ton will provide a shortlist
of C files that need translation.
- cessen's project: where is he! Ton will mail him...

------- 2. Python IDE

- http://stani.host.sk/python/blenpy.html
- Michel confirms this is a very useful tool for more experienced
Python coders to get into  Python programming in Blender.
- Stani mailed that it solved 3 things: class browsing, load/save
cycles, advanced text editing
- the project can be presented as 'add-on' for Blender, and doesn't
affect the bf-blender projects or releases.
- ton will mail the bf-python group a link to the old class browser in
Blender

-------3. Functionality board

- ton wanted some reviews of the proposal, since reactions at the
forums are quite mixed.
- main topic attendants in the meeting agree on is that this is a
method to involve users more.
- it should not become a 'talking feature' board, but a group we use
for reflection and helping out with specs
- probably the quite formal presentation I did caused the confusing
reactions
- Ton proposes do go for a gradual transition, and officially stick
with the bf-blender admins for final decisions:
   -> clearly promote it as a 'research & feedback' platform, not a
'decision platform'.
   -> find interested users first, and work with them on topics
   -> organize it in more detail once it's needed

-------4. Reorganize ghost/screen/buttons code

- Michel proposes to look at moving interface.c (buttons code) to
Ghost. He thought the aim could be to turn ghost in a general toolkit
like Gtk, Qt, Motif
- Ton replies that dependencies in Blender will make it quite hard.
Further, ghost links to Blender 'screen' code, and that one links to
'interface'.
- LarstiQ/apheX don't like the idea to put buttons in Ghost
- Michel was hoping this could be an incremental step towards 3.0
- Ton proposes to look at this further, but first agree on what it
actually will add to Blender's functionality. For example by defining a
timeline like:  2.3x quick hacking, 2.5x feasible new concepts, 3.0 new
start!
A major cleanup of the screen structure can help this:
   -> having multiple windows with blender interface (dual headed too)
   -> an advanced event structure with python hooks
   -> a start with simple undo/redo

Agreed was to move the debate back to the maillist... it's complex and
will take quite some research time.

---------5. OSX Aqua

- trip_dragon has been working with OSX Interface Builder, and
presented a few examples. www.aprilcolo.com/bunny/powwow.sit
- most attendants consider the project not feasible now. especially
rigourlously copying the current interface might be a waste of time
- however, if the previous agenda point is done, it becomes more
feasible

--------

Time was up, so the bug tracker topic was skipped.

Thanks!
Next meeting: sun june 8, 16-18h CEST (-9 LA, -6 NY, -1 UK, +8 Sydney)

-Ton-

http://www.blender.org