Next Generation Modeling (was RE: [Bf-committers] Edge Loop S election in Meshes)

Laurence Bourn bf-committers@blender.org
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 10:38:04 +0200

Ah good old strubel, I wonder if he is listening in at all....

Talking of mesh libraries you might want to have a glance through the
decimation and bsp libs in /intern as they both contain C++ mesh
implementations(Neither of which are very good:-(. (*)

You might also want to have a look at the excellent CGAL mesh design.
http://www.cgal.org

Or something currently under development(?)
http://www.openmesh.org/

*Why two different implementations?? Well I've found that one single mesh
data structure is very difficult to design for all   algorithms. The added
complexity of maintaining edges,wedges,vertices and polygon links makes it
hard (and inefficient) to map algorithms onto a generic design.

On the other hand if there are a bunch of useful mesh operations that can
work with a single mesh structure then that's fantastic.

The only other thing to bare in mind is the manifoldness of your mesh
structure. It's much easier to implement algorithms on a manifold mesh -
infact there is a language of fundamental operations that most algorithms
are built up from! (see CGAL stuff). Blender however allows the user to
create any old kind of mish-mash-mesh that manifold structures will not
accept. Try using the decimation stuff on a non-manifold mesh! This is
intensely annoying for the user. If you are going to rely on manifold mesh
structures then some nice clean up tools should be provided to
repair/cleanup bad meshes.

Success!
Laurence.