[Bf-committers] Gameengine - ODE and Python

maci_ray bf-committers@blender.org
Thu, 31 Jul 2003 21:41:15 +0200 (CEST)

 --- Willian Padovani Germano <wgermano@ig.com.br> schrieb:
> On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 07:47, maci_ray wrote:
> > As mentioned I decided to bring real Mesh updates to gameengine (that is
> > what I need most, and what started this thread). For now I clone the NMesh
> > and Image Module from BPY. Later, when I found the interferences between
> > BPY and gameengines' C++ Python encapsulation way, BPY can directly be
> used.
> > In older gameengine there were AFAIK some dictionary juggeling alorithms.
>
> A comment: there's an old thread in the python forum at www.blender.org
> where Michel and a couple of ex-NaN guys discuss about bpython.  From
> what I remember, there's mention there that currently bpython and the
> gameengine run separate instances of the Python interpreter, but the
> goal would be to use a single instance for both.  I didn't properly look
> at the gameengine embedding yet.

Thanks for pointing out this thread. Gameengine python has a true C++
encapsulating implementation directly in the classes (inspired from work
of [shit I can't find the information anymore, there is probably a
comment in the source]).

> But if the current NMesh, Image, etc. modules suit your needs, you
> probably only have to register them with the Interpreter instance used
> by the gameengine.  Take a look at source/blender/python/ , files:
>
> - BPY_interface.c: void BPY_start_python(void)
> - api2_2x/EXPP_interface.c: void initBlenderApi2_2x (void)
> - api2_2x/Blender.c: void M_Blender_Init (void)

Yep. That's the way I'll try. Start with NMesh, then Image.

> > A question is: Should the replaced mesh appear in blender also (like
> > my old
> > version which used NMesh directly) or is it just for gameengine?
>
> If you use add_mesh() it will be in Blender, but will only appear in the
> scene you link its object to.  So it's your choice where to let it be
> seen, if I understood what you want.

I meant, should the new Meshes survive when the gameengine is ended?

> > > What about suggesting the gameengine as one of the topics for next
> > > Sunday's irc meeting?
> >
> > Why not. It's on 16.00 CET I think?
>
> Yes, that's it.

OK. I'll be there.