[Bf-committers] Gameengine - ODE and Python

Alexander Ewering bf-committers@blender.org
Thu, 31 Jul 2003 15:44:38 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

Concerning the gameengine, I have the following
thoughts to share:

I would not suggest using ODE, as it will
certainly break compatibility with older games.

The current engine is powerful enough to create
a LOT of content (be it games, or simulations,
or visualization). If more sophisticated Physics
are needed in a special case, those can always be
added with the help of Python!

There's Freesolid (http://sourceforge.net/projects/freesolid/),
and I don't know to what degree it is similar / identical
to the version of solid that had been used with the closed-source
Blender versions, but I guess it is basically the same
engine, and re-integrating it into Blender would probably be
a lot easier, and Blender would stay compatible with older
.blends that use the Game engine.

Has anyone looked into Freesolid?