[Bf-committers] Gameengine - ODE and Python

bf-committers@blender.org bf-committers@blender.org
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 11:17:09 -0500

Greetings,

Quoting Alexander Ewering <blender@instinctive.de>:

> Hi Kester,
>
> intrr here. It's great to see someone finally gets really involved
> with the game engine.

Indeed.  I've never been interested in the game engine for playing games
(although in principle I think the idea of roll-your-own games via the blender
editing functions is extremely cool), but with all the 'Machinima' hype (and
some impressive movie projects to emerge from other game engines, c.f.
http://www.machinima.com ) I have begun to develop a serious interest in the
blender game engine (enough to install an old 2.23 copy and play around with it).

As an amateur animation hobbiest using Blender to animate small films and clips,
I find the potential Machinima uses of the blender game engine to be extremely
interesting.  Add the ability to record game data in real time (so that once a
scene takes place, one can add and move cameras to the existing, recorded action
at will, from any direction ... perhaps even posthumously (postactively?) change
the sets or even the characters' appearances) and Blender would be THE platform
for Machinima and animation IMHO.

As an aside, the free software 'cube' (Gentoo: emerge cube) game has a very
interesting game-edit interface built in (but no recording capability a la
unreal, quake, etc., so alas, no real-time movie making capability), which might
be worth a gander for those looking at editing functions in the 3d window.  It
is a simple engine (and limited in some respects) but quite impressive, and the
editing is very easy and intuitive.

Anyway, this isn't so much an offer to help (I can't, for both technical and
temporal reasons) as it is a voice of encouragement and enthusiasm to those
looking at the game engine, from one whose interest is in the film
making/animation department.

Best wishes,

Jean.