[Bf-committers] Gameengine - ODE and Python

John K. Walton bf-committers@blender.org
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 06:42:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Alexander Ewering wrote:

> Hi Kester,
>
> intrr here. It's great to see someone finally gets really involved
> with the game engine.
>
> I never bothered to look into Blender's game engine features too
> much, until this weekend. And I must say, I am quite impressed
> with it. Managed to do a little world with quite complex stuff
> I've never seen so far in commercial games, so I guess this
> gameengine is quite promising, and I'm willing to help to bring
> it back and improve it, AS FAR AS I CAN, of course :)
>
> I don't have _any_ C++ skills, though I do have some knowledge
> (see audio-sequence-stuff) in C.
>
> > weekend.  This is what I accomplished:
>
> I suppose you are working on a local 2.28 tree?
>
> > Code to trigger the sensors that depend on collision detection: ray, touch,
> > collision and near.
>
> Great. So they fully work again?
>
> > Sound.  Sound plays on Linux.  intrr has disabled the game engine sound - my
> > sound driver will allow /dev/dsp to be opened more than once.
>
> Yes, I had to disable it for that reason. Another possibility
> would be to have the gameengine redirect its output to the SDL
> mixing buffer.

it would be great to see SDL used instead of openal.
openal never worked on irix (even an NaN is was never implemented),
and intrr's sound work with SDL has been very successful.